Employer Compliance with the Health Insurance Act 1970 and the Health Insurance (Exemption) Regulations 1971

The Health Council monitors and enforces compliance with the Health Insurance Act 1970 and the Health Insurance (Exemption) Regulations 1971. In accordance with the Health Insurance Act 1970, employers must provide laid-off employees with four weeks of standard health benefit coverage, starting from the first day of the layoff period.

Every employer is required to provide health insurance for employees working over 15 hours per week and more than two months in the calendar year, according to the Health Insurance (Exemption) Regulations 1971. They must also insure an employee’s non-working spouse. The employer is responsible for paying the full health insurance policy premium. They are only required to contribute half of the standard premium rate. The employer may deduct the rest of the premium amount from the employee’s pay.


For further information about how we manage complaints against employers, contact the Health Council at 292-6420 or healthcouncil@bhec.bm.

  • Provide employees with health insurance as of their first date of employment
  • Insure an employee’s non-working spouse
  • Provide coverage through a policy in the employer’s name.
  • Obtain a policy through a local licensed health insurer (Argus, BF&M, CG Insurance, and Health Insurance Department).
  • Provide basic coverage to employees previously insured through their spouse.
  • Contribute half of the standard premium rate towards the premiums for both the employee and their non-working spouse.
  • Provide their employees with information about their insurance contract.
  • Notify employees in writing if the policy is lapsed or terminated.
  • Provide employees with paystubs outlining deductions for health insurance coverage.
  • Pay employees’ medical bills during periods of non-coverage.
  • Provide personal details needed to start a policy; i.e. Social Insurance Number.
  • Confirm your health insurance status when you start your job.
  • Keep a copy of all your paystubs, noting what is being deducted for health insurance.
  • Provide the employer with copies of medical bills incurred during periods of non-coverage.
  • Notify your employer of changes in spousal employment status.
  • Receive basic coverage through an employer if previously insured through a spouse.
  • Summer students employed during a school break
  • Anyone working less than 15 hours per week and two months per year.
  • Employees who already have coverage through their primary employer.
  • Retirees who are employed but have coverage as a retirement benefit through their previous employer.
To view Employer Compliance Annual Reports

Click here

To view Licensed Health Insurers and Approved Health Insurance Schemes

Click here

To view the list of Non-Compliant Employers

Click here